Monday, August 11, 2014

High Altitude Pizza Dough

I do not have the temperament of a baker.  I have no patience for mistakes.  When I make a new recipe and it doesn't come out the first time, the odds are good that I will never make it again.  So I don't like to "experiment" or "play around".  I'm always on the hunt for recipes that will be easy and taste good.  The first time.  I googled for awhile before finally finding a recipe for high altitude pizza dough.  I found tons of advice and tips about how to adjust my old recipe, but that's not what I was looking for.  I just wanted someone else's tried-and-true recipe to start with.  I finally found this one, from the Denver Junior League cookbook (via food.com).  I made some minor adaptations, but overall it fit the bill nicely.

Ingredients:
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey (I subbed 1/2 tablespoon sugar)
3/4 cup cold water
1 tablespoon dried rosemary (or oregano), chopped

Directions:

In a small  bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let stand 5-10 minutes, until slightly bubbly.
In large bowl, combine flour, salt, olive oil, and cold water.
Add yeast mixture and rosemary and stir to blend.
Knead by hand until smooth, about 10 minutes.
Form into ball and place dough in oiled bowl, turning to coat entire surface.
Cover with plastic wrap and towel, and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Divide in half, and shape each piece into a 12-inch round.
Crust may be prebaked 7 minutes before adding toppings, or top uncooked crust with desired toppings and bake 10-12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.


11 comments:

  1. What is the altitude where you live? I'm looking for a recipe that will work at 9000 ft. I also live in Colorado :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough

      Reduce your cold rise time to about 8 hours instead and I also generally use 190g of water vice the 200.

      Delete
  2. Does the sugar help the yeast at the altitude or is it just a taste thing? I generally wouldn't add any sugar to my dough unless it would help with activity of the yeast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sugar works as food for the yeast and it helps making the dough rise.

      Delete
  3. great recipee, I'm at 9k in Colorado. I do increase the cold water mix by 1/4 cup. I also allow to rise for 4 to 8 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m in New Mexica recent move. I’m a mere 7000 ft up, but having a hard time adjusting to the elevation. This awesome. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in NM too but only 4200' but have always lived at sea level..making pizza dough for years.. come out fine.. now whether its my oven or the altitude fairy it comes out thin tough and never quite done in the middle... I bake it at 400-450. I'll try anything at this point. lol

      Delete
    2. Me, too. All of the above statements. At 4500’, lifelong resident of a coastal community, tough dough. I’ve added an extra tablespoon of flour, cut the yeast to 1/4 teaspoon and I bake it at 525F. Last night’s pizza was okay but a little tough. I didn’t let it sit long enough after refrigeration, I think. I’m going to keep experimenting until I get this high altitude thing right!

      Delete
  5. I'm at 5280 altitude. I used 1/3 cup water. It worked better when I added the sugar, yeast and oil together. Then added water and yeast mixture to dry ingredients at same time. Great receipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1xBet Betting App - Horse Racing, Football, Tennis
    1xBet 서귀포 출장안마 Betting App · 1xBet Betting 제주 출장안마 App · 1xbet 1xbet korean Betting App · 1xbet Betting App · 1xbet Betting App · 1xbet Betting App 김제 출장안마 · 1xbet Betting App · 1xbet Betting App · 1xbet 포천 출장안마 Betting App

    ReplyDelete